Vocabulary sessions will be used to learn words frequently to help us enrich our vocabulary. For this session, we are going to learn three vocabulary words.
i. Acknowledge (transitive)
- to admit the knowledge of.
Eg: I acknowledge I could have made better decisions.
- to recognize as a fact or truth.
Eg: He finally acknowledged his paternity of the child.
- to notify receipt of your letter.
Eg: I will send you a message this night, please acknowledge receipt of it.
Synonyms: avow, proclaim, recognize, own, admit…
French: reconnaitre, accuser réception.
- Floating at random.
Eg: The seamen are adrift in lifeboats.
- Behind one’s opponents, or below a required threshold in terms of score, number, or position.
Eg: Our team was only one goal adrift after the first leg.
French: à la derive
- To incur, stand or bear without serious detriment, as an act which might under other circumstances be injurious.
Eg: Are you able to afford the car that you are looking for?
- To provide, to furnish
Eg: The best that I could afford was a first-floor room for your guests.
French: offrir, fournir, produire
Fine. Thanks for this. I really like it.